It is established to be a tumultuous working day on markets after Russian President Vladimir Putin stepped up the assault on Ukraine.
The Russian chief requested the deployment of troops to two breakaway locations in japanese Ukraine immediately after recognising them as impartial on Monday, sparking fears of a whole-blown conflict.
Asian markets slumped, and the FTSE 100 is established to comply with match. Fears of disruption in electricity markets despatched natural gas rates surging 13computer, when oil selling prices pushed in direction of $100 a barrel.
5 factors to start your day
1) The City normally takes on Brussels in ‘high stakes poker’ over Brexit freedoms EU-era restrictions below scrutiny as bloc ramps up options to poach clearing off London
2) Lotus courts investors to capitalise on China’s electrical vehicle revolution British supercar maker hopes China’s center-course can be its new advancement motor
3) Richard Branson’s Hyperloop slashes 50 % its employees in cargo shift Redundancies abide by exodus of executives at vacuum-dependent transportation company
4) British regulator wades into Sir Nick Clegg’s battle with Google Look for giant’s move to block advert-tracking tech could cost Facebook tens of billions of dollars
5) Heathrow chief quits civil support recruitment panel after backlash from airlines John Holland-Kaye measures down after airlines lifted impartiality fears
What took place overnight
Global stocks tumbled though safe and sound-havens rallied and oil surged as Europe’s jap flank stood on the brink of war immediately after Russian President Vladimir Putin requested troops into breakaway regions of jap Ukraine.
MSCI’s broadest index of Asia Pacific shares outside Japan was on course for its worst working day for this thirty day period, off 1.7personal computer, weighed by markets in Hong Kong and mainland China. Japan’s Nikkei get rid of 1.7computer.
US and European markets were also braced for sharp losses at the opening bell, with S&P 500 futures down 1.4computer system, Nasdaq futures off 1.9computer, the pan-location Euro Stoxx 50 futures 1.1pc lower, and FTSE futures down .6pc.
Coming up nowadays
- Company: Antofagasta, HSBC, InterContinental Lodges Team, Smith & Nephew (entire-year outcomes) Hargreaves Lansdown (interims)
- Economics: House price index (US), producing PMI (US), products and services PMI (US), customer confidence (US), inflation (EU)